1. Varietal Development
A.1. Open Pollinated Varieties (OPVs)
- Development of open pollinated full season maize for different production environments of Nepal (OPVs full season).
- Development of early maturing maize varieties for terai and hills of Nepal.
- Development of QPM varieties for terai and mid-hills of Nepal.
- Development of maize genotypes under drought stress condition.
- Utilization of local landraces for the development of maize varieties suitable for different production environments.
- Development of maize varieties for Karnali region.
- High value maize varieties development for Nepal.
- Maintenance of released maize varieties for Nepal.
- OPV’s/Synthetic varieties development/advancement
- Performance of full season and hybrid maize variety throughout the year in Rampur, Chitwan.
- Development and evaluation of inbred lines.
- Seed increase of promising inbred lines by controlled pollination.
- Characterize inbred lines and hybrids based on morpho-physiological traits.
- Development of conventional (single cross) & non-conventional (top cross) hybrids.
- Evaluation of crosses for similar agronomic traits.
- Formation of synthetic population.
- Evaluation of hybrids and synthetic population in Coordinated Varietal Trials (CVT).
- Evaluation of hybrids under Coordinated Farmers Field Trials (FFT).
- Carry out on station and on farm hybrid and synthetic seed production.
- Open pollination of the selected lines in isolation
- Evaluation of CIMMYT Hybrids
- Evaluation of NMRP hybrids using PVS in hybrids growing pockets
- Test cross or diallel cross for GCA and SCA and evaluation of crosses
- Seed production of inbred lines
- Seed production of two way cross hybrids
- Seed production of three way cross hybrids
- Hybrid seed production training to seed entrepreneurs
- Multi-stakeholder’s visit to NMRP and hybrid growing areas
- Source seed production of Rampur Hybrid-2
- Multilocation testing of multinational company hybrids
2. Crop Management
- Field experimentation in testing the performance of hybrids and OPV of maize under conventional tillage and no tillage with or without residue in Terai, Nepal.
- Identification of best bet technology (nutrient management, plant densities, time of planting etc) on hybrids and OPVs of maize and their verification in Terai.
- Performance studies of Conservation Agriculture (CA) under maize based system in Nepal.
- Verification of best-bet CA based crop management practices under maize based system in Nepal.
- Studies on various weed management methods in maize.
- Water management studies in spring and rainy season maize.
- Performance evaluation of manual and power operated corn shellers.
- Studies on the intercropping of hybrid and OPV of maize with different legume species in Nepal.
- Studies on the intercropping of maize and potato in Terai and hills.
3. Disease Management
- Management of maize diseases through host resistance.
- Score and screen the inbred lines and hybrids and composite against the major diseases and insects.
- Development of grey leaf spot tolerant maize varieties
4. Insect paste management
- Survey surveillance of Armyworm at different locations.
- Life cycle study of armyworm at lab condition.
- Mass rearing of Rice moth (Corcyra cephalonica) as host insect of Trichogramma
- Laboratory rearing , maintenance of Trichogramma in lab and application of Trichogramma in seed production block at NMRP.
- Establishment of botanical pesticide garden at NMRP, Rampur.
- Management of storage pest through the use of indigenous botanical pesticides.
- Evaluation of effect of packing materials and seed moisture content on storability of maize (Zea mays) seeds.
5. Soil fertility Management
- Nutrient management for summer and spring season maize.
- Enhancing soil phosphorus availability and P- uptake in maize based cropping system.
- Assessment of soil fertility status of NMRP’s outreach research sites.
- Updating the fertilizer dose for extra early, normal, and hybrid maize variety.
- Variety cum fertilizer trial (VCFT) on improved maize genotypes on acid soils of Rampur.
- Fertilizer management for pipeline inbreds of RML32 and RML17 , RML4, RML95 and RML96.
- Testing and evaluation of precision technology in nitrogen management of maize.
- Grain yield estimation of different maize varieties sown on different date using optical sensor (Green seeker crop sensor).
6. Outreach Research
- Participatory varietal selection
- Farmers acceptance test (FAT)
- IRD and Minikit distribution of maize
- Dissemination of maize varieties and technology through frontline demonstrations.
- Verification and demonstration of intercropping of maize and rajma bean in the farmers field of Terai
- Diamond trial on nutrient management for maize based cropping system
- Survey and surveillance of maize insect pests in three outreach research sites of NMRP
- Verification of farm machinery and crop establishment method in farmer’s field
- Inter and intra regional OR tours by researchers and farmers
- Publication of leaflets, booklets and brochures.
- Three months farmers-scientist program (2 farmers) on maize seed production
- SMS (research and extension) trainings
7. Source seed production
- Breeder seed production of different maize varieties
- Foundation seed production of different maize varieties
- Foundation seed production of different rice varieties
- Foundation seed production of different wheat and sunhemp varieties