- To carry-out basic and applied research aimed at increasing production and productivity of maize in the country.
- To conduct and co-ordinate multidisciplinary and multicolour research to identify appropriate techniques for varied agro-ecology.
- Geoplan collection, evaluation , maintenance and its enhancement.
- To develop value added maize genotypes
- To conduct trainings, frontline donations and on-farm research.
- To serve as as resource centre for the research and infrastructure.
- To develop linkages with national, international and private sector for collaborative research and development.
- To act as a leader in formulating maize research policy.